We have one worship service for the entire community this Sunday at 10 a.m. We will be signing up to be part of a lifeHOUSE, our neighborhood based communities of spiritual growth and blessing. More information concerning lifeHOUSES is here.
We have lifeHOUSES for every weeknight:
Monday lifeHOUSE: Duane and Barbara Cirks
Tuesday lifeHOUSE: Buzz and Donnice Brown
Wednesday lifeHOUSE: Art and Jan Cuadra
Wednesday lifeHOUSE: Mac and Donna McLeod
Thursday lifeHOUSE: Mike and Debee Jusko
Thursday lifeHOUSE: Deb Elias
Friday lifeHOUSE: Bill and Andrea Anz
Join us this Sunday!
[spreaker type=standard width=100% autoplay=false episode_id=6640077]
Death to self/ self-forgetfulness/ self denial….whatever you call it…that’s the road you take when you follow Jesus
- They meet together for worship at the Temple.
- They meet in homes to all process the same teaching they are learning.
- They enjoy food.
- They build friendships.
- They pray for each other.
- Together, they connect with the neighbors.
- We meet together with 6-12 people once a week for an hour and a half.
- We eat snacks and have a time to catch up.
- Everyone in the lifeHOUSE takes turns answering the same two questions about the teaching for the week.
- The teaching will come from PD’s book, Reboot: 70 Life Lessons with Dallas Willard. Each week we will read 10 life lessons from the book. A good way to do this is a daily weekday rhythm of reading two lessons a day, M-F, during a quiet time you spend with God. On Sundays, PD will also give a brief summary of the 10 lessons that are for that coming week- Reboot Time.
- What’s the one thing that I sense God is pointing out to me from the reading and reflection I did? (What is God saying to me?)
- What am I going to do about what I am perceiving from God? (What am I going to do about it?)
- After everyone shares, we pray for each other about what we are going to do about what we heard, and we end the time praying one-on-one with other personal prayer matters.
- Each lifeHOUSE will choose to do one simple thing together to bless the neighbors of the host home’s neighborhood. We have plenty of suggestions that you will find helpful, but you can choose anything that brings God’s blessing and joy to the neighbors.
LIFEHouse will be hosting the national Stephen Ministries team for their California Introductory Workshop on September 19th, 9-1 p.m. Here is information on the event.
Experience a Sample of Stephen Minister Training and Learn How Your Church Can Begin Stephen Ministry
Stephen Ministry Introductory Workshops are half-day events where you and others from your congregation can:
catch a vision for lay caring ministry;
experience a sample of Stephen Minister training; and
learn the basics about Stephen Ministry—how it works, the benefits it offers, and how to bring Stephen Ministry to your congregation.
You’ll come away with a clear understanding of the difference Stephen Ministry makes and a vision for getting it started in your congregation.
Attending one of these workshops is not mandatory for beginning Stephen Ministry—but they are an excellent way to get your questions answered and learn what Stephen Ministry is all about.
Three Engaging Sessions
Each workshop has three sessions:
SESSION 1: Ministering to Those Experiencing Grief
Sample the quality of Stephen Minister training firsthand
Develop grief ministry skills you can put to use right away
SESSION 2: An Introduction to Stephen Ministry
Explore the life-changing value of this ministry
Discover how to bring Stephen Ministry to your congregation
SESSION 3: How to Care in a Distinctively Christian Way
Learn to integrate faith into everyday caring and relating
Experience the Christ-centered nature of Stephen Ministry
Who Should Attend?
Each participant receives an informative packet of materials. Every congregation receives a set of DVDs with inspiring videos to build support for beginning Stephen Ministry.
Pastors and church staff
Lay leaders and decision makers
Caregivers and caregiving teams
This event is free for LIFEhouse folks.
For others there is small fee of:
$15 per person or $50 for a group of four or more from your congregation or organization
As you know, we are hosting a conference for the national Stephen Ministries team. These ministries provide training for one-on-one Christian care giving for hurting people.
As we are hosting the conference, a letter was sent out from me to 1500 congregations in the LA area inviting folks to consider attending. One of those letters reached Bethany Baptist Church of West Los Angeles. The pastor, LA Kessee spoke with one of our Stephen leaders, Vickie De Blasio, about the struggles occurring at his church. Just recently, they have had 13 deaths in their congregation!
Overwhelming, but the people of God are there. Bethany is sending folks to the workshop, but our Stephen leader, Buzz Brown decided we could offer more. Four of us traveled down to their church on Tuesday. Buzz, Mac McLeod, Peter Borck and I did a mini “taster” workshop for their congregation including help with dealing with grief, healthy healing, and visiting folks who are grieving.
The people of Bethany were such gracious hosts and interacted greatly with us as we shared our experiences and the experiences of other Stephen Ministers from LIFEhouse. What a blessing to see God at work connecting two communities of brothers and sisters in this way!
As LA said, “Can I get an Amen?”
Everyone is invited to attend this workshop September 19, from 9-1 p.m. Here is information.
[spreaker type=standard width=100% autoplay=false episode_id=6601756]
The Christian life is like climbing Half Dome…Let’s take a hike
LIFEhouse Church has been involved in Stephen Ministry since 2005. We currently have 26 people from our congregation who serve as Stephen Ministers- well-trained caregivers who provide high-quality, one-on-one Christian care to people experiencing various difficulties in life.On September 19, we are representing Stephen Ministry for all of California as we host this training event. This is a great opportunity for anyone to learn more about Stephen Ministry and how they can be involved.This workshop isn’t just for Stephen Ministers, as we will experience valuable training is areas such as ministering to those experiencing grief.
[spreaker type=standard width=100% autoplay=false episode_id=6596610]
What is the relationship between light and faith? It’s actually quite amazing…
8/23 sermon on the Transfiguration…